Do you know that the success of porcelain veneers can be traced to NASA and the space shuttle program in the late 1970’s? Yes, you read that correctly. Let us explain…
At one point, NASA had trouble with missing tiles upon re-entry so they developed the method of bonding porcelain tiles to the undercarriage. The bonding technology was discovered at this point and adapted into the dentistry field!
Today, porcelain veneers are a very common cosmetic and restorative dental procedure. Now we can bond porcelain veneers directly to the tooth’s surface.
Rest assured, Dr. Gaylor has received advanced specialized training with porcelain veneer bonding technology. This training has allowed her to successfully place thousands of veneer restorations since 1984.
WHAT ARE PORCELAIN VENEERS?
Veneers are very thin pieces of porcelain that are bonded to the tooth’s surface to fix several dental problems. In fact, veneers can fix teeth that are:
- Severely discolored and stained
- Irregularly-shaped (teeth that are too long or too short)
- Slightly misaligned or crooked
- Worn down
Porcelain veneers or onlays are oftentimes our preferred conservative method to restore broken molar teeth, or to replace large mercury silver fillings.
BENEFITS OF PORCELAIN VENEERS
- With proper care, veneers can last for ten or more years. Veneers are made of a thin sheet of porcelain (about as thin as a contact lens) that is very strong and durable.
- Veneers are customizable and minimally invasive, which means Dr. Gaylor can determine the best shade of white, shape, translucency, and thickness of the veneers. All of these factors create a beautiful, natural-looking smile. In some cases, anesthesia and sedation are not needed.
- If needed, Dr. Gaylor will gently prepare the tooth’s surface before applying the veneer. This will ensure a solid, strong bond.
- After the veneers are placed, we will polish it so it looks flawless and blends in perfectly with the surrounding teeth.
- Veneers will not stain due to the porcelain material used.
- You won’t have to worry about the unpleasant black marginal line that occurs with traditional porcelain-fused-to-metal crowns.
VENEERS IN ATLANTA, GA
If you are unhappy with your smile, call us today. Our experienced cosmetic dentist loves creating beautiful, healthy smiles. We look forward to helping you regain confidence by creating your flawless smile.