Preventive dental care is important for an overall clean bill of health. Practicing effective, consistent oral care will help prevent major dental problems, such as tooth decay, root canal treatment, and dental implants.
Comprehensive Preventive Oral Care
A great oral hygiene regimen includes professional teeth cleanings, hygiene instructions, and six-month checkup appointments with your dentist. During your routine visits at Cosmetic Dentistry of Atlanta:
• You will receive a thorough assessment of your oral health.
• We will assess your at-home oral care habits and recommend changes if necessary.
• Our dentist and hygienists will teach you how to properly brush and floss your teeth (many patients do not know how to properly floss!).
We believe that healthy habits are important for a lifetime of excellent oral health, which includes healthy teeth, gums, bone, and surrounding tissues.
We perform the following services, when needed, during your routine visits with us:
- Regular professional cleanings
- Patient education, including oral hygiene instructions
- Oral cancer screening
- Blood pressure screening
- Periodontal charting
- Deep scaling and root planing
- Fluorosis and other stain removal techniques
- Referral to a periodontist if necessary
- Ulcers and fever blister treatment
Gum disease and periodontal disease—symptoms and treatment
Do you know that gum disease and periodontal disease are known as silent killers within the dentistry field? Many people have periodontal disease (the advanced form of gum disease) without even knowing it.
Periodontal disease is a disease of the gums that can also affect the bone. Symptoms include:
- swollen gums
- red gums
- bleeding gums
- receding gums
- tender gums
- persistent bad breath
Early diagnosis and treatment of gum disease is very important because, if the problem progresses to periodontal disease, bone loss and tooth loss can occur.
Dr. Gaylor and her staff are devoted to gum disease prevention. To that extent, we offer a wide range of hygiene and non-surgical periodontal services to fight off and treat gum disease. If necessary, we will refer you to a periodontist who specializes in gum disease and periodontal disease treatment.
If you are concerned about gum disease or periodontal disease, or if you need to schedule your six-month hygiene cleaning appointment, call our office today.